Friends of Ngong Road (FONR) provides education and support for Nairobi children living in poverty, so they can transform their lives. With more than 10 years of experience, FONR were early adopters of Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP). As the organization grew from its infancy into a thriving nonprofit, they relied mostly on volunteers and ‘tinkers’ to maintain their Salesforce org. Meanwhile, as Salesforce and NPSP matured with new functionality and a new Lightning UI, FONR simply did not have the knowledge or capacity to use these tools. Their challenges included:
- Inconsistent data tracking strategies over the years meant an inability to report on donors accurately over time. Simple metrics like total gifts and last gift date were inaccurate and unreliable, making strategic donor management impossible.
- While they were somewhat aware of data-errors that existed throughout the system, there were no tools or strategies in place to proactively find and address these errors. These errors existed in huge quantities, across all parts of the system, and rendered usability and reporting difficult or impossible.
- Their org was created by inexperienced admins who did not meet best practice standards for database structure. Staff spent many hours creating critical reports using third party tools, exports, and manual data manipulation, because the metadata infrastructure precluded effective reporting.
- The organization had not moved to Lightning and were unable to take advantage of new tools included with the upgrade.
- Ineffective page layouts with many unused or poorly used fields caused wasted time and low user adoption.